Schools Represented: Albany, Alfred, Binghamton, Buffalo, Cobleskill, Cortland, Morrisville New Paltz, Oneonta, and Oswego
Sustainability Presentation: Farms to Institutions – New York State (FINYS) presented by Christina Grace
Christina updated the group on the pilot project, FINYS, that four members, Albany, New Paltz, Oneonta, and Oswego are currently taking part in with the purpose to increase in the purchase of Specialty Produce crops and minimally processed versions of these vegetables.
The program consists of two parts, food service purchases and student engagement. Most recently, the schools’ food service teams and FINYS partners have been working on data accumulation to establish benchmarks. Concurrently, each school’s Sustainability Director has been working on student engagement with a focus on spreading the word about the program.
Following the presentation, each school shared their current sustainability initiatives with Ms. Grace.
Questions for the Group:
- What medical supplies supplier are you using? (Cortland) Zee medical, Cintas and connery.com – The group shared the challenges and advantages with each.
- Does anyone have their campus licensed or just a building? How do you =obtain a permit for another location? (Delhi) No, you can only license one building. You must obtain a one-day Caterer’s permit for non-licensed facilities.
- What are people putting in their Shop 24? (New Paltz) – Cortland and Morrisville will send their product listings to Dianne.
- Has or is anyone self-op for vending? (Morrisville) – University of Buffalo is. The group shared some pitfalls of it.
- Summer Staffing – Who has retail open? Is it worth it? (Delhi) – The group discuss the best methods for staffing ( volunteers versus force) and why we do it( service to campus/ community)
- No Smoking on Campus – (Oswego) How effective is it? Any best practices to share. Cortland is “officially” smoke free but it has just crossed the street. Binghamton and Oswego are both going through the transition. Cessation is important, but it will be a fight along the way. Neither has the ability to leave the property easily like Cortland.
Campus Updates & Roundtable of Note:
Denise Brownell shared that Karen Canne from Alfred State is retiring. We wish Karen well and thank her for her many of years of service to Alfred State and SASA. Best of luck!
Cortland will be opening a new Student Life Center on Campus in next winter.
UB is undergoing many facelifts in locations, opening a new Starbucks on campus, and launching a food truck.
Binghamton just opened its Market Place concept.
Thank you to Maria for hosting us and putting on a great Spring Conference.